Signs of Hearing Loss in Each Stage of Life
Hearing loss can affect people of all ages for various reasons such as genetics, exposure to loud noises, presbycusis, autoimmune issues and sometimes ototoxic medications. More dangerously, untreated hearing loss can cause issues, often psychological, which also tend to be the indicators.
If you’re concerned that you or a loved one may have hearing loss, here’s a list of signs in each stage of life that may indicate a hearing loss.
Signs of hearing loss in children often go unnoticed, hence it’s important to look for signs as early as infancy for quick treatment. If a hearing loss isn’t indicated now, it’s still a possibility as they age.
Here are some of the signs to watch for:
- Lack of attention to sound and sound localization
- Delayed speech development
- Unable to monitor their own voice or follow verbal instructions
- Behavioural changes and hyperactivity
- Poor school performance
Diagnosing teens is easier because they’ve developed communication skills. Personalities influence any diagnosis because they affect our verbal interactions and reactions to different situations.
The following are some indicators:
- Struggles with verbal cues and instructions
- Often ask people to repeat themselves
- Lack of participation in school activities, poor school performance
- Isolated from social situations
- Behavioural changes – may act out or do nothing at all
Adults and Seniors
In adults, signs of hearing loss present differently with age due to developed coping mechanisms. Seniors often lose their hearing as they age, but they can take action to treat it for a better quality of life.
Here are signs to look for:
- Regularly ask people to repeat themselves
- Talk very loud or quiet
- Difficulties understanding verbal communication
- Isolate themselves in noisy environments and don’t participate
- May present with depression or anxiety
- Complaints of dizziness, ringing in ears and exhaustion
If you’re concerned about hearing loss affecting you or a loved one, NexGen Hearing provides free hearing tests and hearing aid consultations, sales and fittings. NexGen Hearing’s team is dedicated to helping you find solutions and discussing your hearing needs, goals and options to find the best outcome and support you every step of the way.